Nearly everything used in a home or office operates on an electrical current. Electrical equipment carries a risk of burn or shock if used or maintained incorrectly. Shock and burn injuries occur when any part of the body touches an electrical circuit. An electrical current travels through the body causing pain, damage, and even death.
To protect your household members, guests, or coworkers from electrical injury, teach them right and ensure that your home or office is safe from potential electrical hazards.
Be Smart About Outlet Use
No matter whether you’re at home or in the office, there never seems to be enough places to plug in all the electronics we use every day. For this reason, it’s common for people to overload the outlets they have. Unfortunately, this dangerous practice can result in a fire. Rather than endangering yourself and others, consider hiring a commercial electrician in Melbourne to install the additional electrical outlets you need to ensure that all your appliances and devices can operate safely.
Learn How to Use Extension Cords and Power Strips
It’s tempting to plug two extension cords into each other to reach an outlet, or to plug one power strip into another to give yourself more options, but both these practices can have devastating consequences.
While it is completely possible to plug two extension cords into each other, you must first look at the tag on each to determine if they can handle the load set forth by the device(s) you intend to plug into them. Using cords rated less than ideal for the devices you plug into them can cause them to overheat. The same holds true for plugging multiple power strips into each other. If you are unable to determine the proper load for the cords you are using, err on the side of caution and don’t plug them into each other.
Don’t Cover Cords With Mats or Rugs
Another fire hazard is the practice of covering exposed wires and cords with rugs or mats to reduce tripping hazards. While this achieves the intended purpose in most cases, it creates another more dangerous situation. Take the time to eliminate this fire and tripping hazard by running all cords along the wall instead of through a walkway.
Unplug Electrical Devices and Equipment Before Maintenance or Repair
While this sounds like common sense, you’d be surprised by the number of people who wind up spending their day in the emergency room each year with shocks and burns resulting from failure to disconnect electrical equipment before servicing. A reliable rule of thumb here is to unplug the appliance, then double check that you have in fact done so before beginning any repair or maintenance work.
Don’t Ignore the Warning Signs
If you notice a hot cord or plug, or you hear a strange noise (a hum, or buzz) coming from a piece of electrical equipment, or it sparks or smokes when you plug or unplug it, immediately remove it from operation and don’t use it again. In some cases, you might be able to have it fixed. However, your safest bet is to replace it. It’s tempting to try to continue using a faulty piece of equipment, especially if it’s expensive to repair or replace. However, doing so could result in even more expense and heartache if the device catches fire.
Using electricity is no joke. Most of us take it for granted, but the reality is, it’s dangerous if not used correctly and respectfully. Following the five tips above will help keep you safe at home and in the office.