Pregnancy is that beautiful phase in your life when regardless of whom you know or don’t, everyone throws pearls of wisdom your way. Your mother becomes your doctor on call, your best friend becomes your personal mommy-stylist and the supermarket attendant, a dietary expert. Everyone will tell you what the journey to motherhood is going to be like – the do’s and don’ts as well as the good and the bad. Let me be honest here. No matter what anyone tells you, you can never truly be prepared for pregnancy with a known set of expectations. You need to experience it to know what it really feels like. Nobody can describe in words the magical moment of your baby’s first kick, or the irritation that morning sickness can cause. Well, here is a list of 5 life lessons that pregnancy (and not my well wishers) taught me:
- The Importance Of Personal Relationships – Pregnancy will make you realize why you need to keep your loved ones close. When your husband rushes to get you your favorite flavor of ice cream in the middle of the night and your mom leaves her poker party only to be next to you when you make countless trips to the loo, you’ll see how blessed and loved you are! And hey, it’s not just your immediate family and friends who’re going to be nice to you! Everyone around you will go beyond their comfort zone to ensure you’re doing great. It’s the best feeling in the world and sure restores your faith in humanity.
- The Art Of Patience – If you thought patience was a virtue you’d never master, wait till you get pregnant! I for one have seen my personality undergo this life transformational change after pregnancy. Right from your first pregnancy test results to the time you finally go into labor, you’ll await each milestone with equal amount of anticipation and enthusiasm. It’s probably God’s own way of preparing you for your impending motherhood, where patience is more of a necessity than an advantage.
- The Power Of Being A Woman – One of my biggest realizations during pregnancy was that women are not the weaker sex! Women are much stronger, mentally, physically and emotionally than men can ever be. Can you imagine your husband going through 12 excruciating hours of labor? Would he manage holding a smile despite experiencing the worst case of morning sickness? Would he be able to carry off the pregnancy weight as gracefully as you? Probably not! Your husband is going to be your biggest pillar of support during pregnancy, but he surely wouldn’t be able to handle the phase with your level of strength and composure if he had to!
- The Significance Of Good Health – If you grew up listening to your parent’s glorified lectures on the importance of good health but never paid any heed, pregnancy will teach you the hard way. Your journey to motherhood sure has many wonderful moments, but you can also fall prey to health complications if you don’t take care of yourself and the little one inside. Eat healthy foods like that are rich sources of protein, iron, calcium, and folic acid. Stay far away from smoking, alcohol and substance abuse. Exercise and stay active, but don’t over exert. Always remember, you’re looking after two people when you’re pregnant, so you ought to be extra cautious.
- Loving Beyond Conditions – As arbitrary as the thought of loving someone you’ve never even seen may seem, being pregnant will make you believe in the possibility. My husband and I vowed that we’d never love anyone more than we love each other, but our little one came in our lives and changed that. Only being a parent can make you realize the love you are capable of giving. It’s the only kind of love that knows no bounds and expects nothing in return but a contented smile.
Aradhana is an expert writer on parenting, wellness, health and lifestyle. As a regular contributor for sites like natural news, elephant journal, naturally savvy, curejoy, thehealthsite and MomJunction, she aims to motivate people towards healthy habits and a problem free life.